Decca Records celebrates 90th anniversary with 90 releases
Record label Decca has announced 90th anniversary celebrations that include the release of 90 reissues and rarities as well as a book, feature film and series of events.
This year sees one of the most iconic record labels in the world, Decca Records, turn 90 years old. Since its formation, on 28 February 1929, Decca has burgeoned from a prosperous British company to a fully-fledged international powerhouse – quickly earning the title as ‘The Supreme Record Company’ – a statement that resonates stronger than ever 90 years on.
Decca has been the home to countless legendary musicians from Luciano Pavarotti to David Bowie, Dame Vera Lynn to Bing Crosby, Tom Jones to Billie Holiday, The Rolling Stones to Mantovani and is now providing the platform for a new generation of ambitious artists at the forefront of their scenes – names such as Andrea Bocelli, Sheku Kanneh-Mason and Gregory Porter, who continue to represent the label’s cultural legacy.
Throughout 2019, Decca will be celebrating its nine decades of excellence with a number of special releases, events, concerts and more taking place across Europe. Events in Paris and Berlin have already taken place, as well as an official launch in London, which included performances from Decca signees Fieh, Jess Gillam, J.S. Ondara and Imelda May.
Decca will also be marking the occasion with:
- The Supreme Record Company: The Story Of Decca Records 1929-2019 Book: A lavishly illustrated, first comprehensive history of the label.
- Pavarotti Feature Film: A milestone full-length documentary directed by Ron Howard telling the true story of Decca’s global superstar.
- V&A Event: London’s prestigious V&A opens its doors to Decca on Sunday 5 May (as part of the V&A Performance Festival 2019) for a day of family fun and music.
- A Return to Decca’s Lost Recording Studio: Decca’s West Hampstead studios, a hidden historical gem, will open again in July for just a few nights, offering an array of different activities, from one-off performances to unseen artworks and exhibitions.
- Reissues and Rarities: 90 physical and digital releases that embrace the spirit of the label. The first Friday of every month for the whole of 2019 will be ‘Decca Day’ with a new release.
- Performances: A unique series of concerts in London, Berlin and Paris to continue throughout 2019. Decca 90 will also be celebrated at key UK arts and music festivals such as Love Supreme, all four Cheltenham events and Village Green.
- Record Store Day 2019 (13 April): A series of exclusive vinyl releases for this global celebration of independent record shops.
- Rare David Bowie Videos: Six Deram-era clips restored to 1080 HD by the UMC team to be released monthly from 8 March.
- Radio: Two programmes on BBC Radio 2 (available globally on the BBC Sounds app) that chart 20 of the most iconic Decca recordings of all time.
- Podcasts: 45 unique 90-second podcasts – 45 RPM (Recorded Podcast Moments) that outline key aspects of the label’s history, to appear on www.decca90.com.